Oradea’s Fortress

Oradea’s fortress – one of the main atraction points of the city – in a pentagonal form, with battlements at its corners and water ditch – was built between 1570-1618 by Italian architects remained the best kept Italian renaissance fortress of central Europe. Between 1097-1557 served as residence of the Roman Catholic bishop of Oradea period when the fortress became an important religious and cultural center. As presented today, after thorough renovations, the fortress of Oradea presents, besides history in its pure state is also a top destination for wine lovers, the place where most of the important events take place.